Episode 39 of the podcast features an interview with Sarah Bessey. She is the author of Jesus Feminist and Out of Sorts and has also written for numerous publications including Huffington Post, The High Calling, Conversations Journal, ChurchLeaders.com, Her.meneutics – Christianity Today’s Blog for Women, Converge Magazine, SheLoves Magazine, RELEVANT Magazine, and Today’s Christian Woman. Sarah preaches and teaches regularly.
I found out pretty quickly that Sarah is generous and gracious. What an amazing interview! What she shared is a little tough to summarize, but we basically talked about Jesus, Church, and how her introduction to ancient practices helped her find a home in a time when she was hurting and experiencing unanswered prayers.
Some of What We Talk About:
- Sarah’s family background and how her family coming to faith was complete turn your life around
- Knowing a lot about Church, but not really knowing Jesus
- How knowing Jesus as an adult can be complicated, nuanced, and beautiful.
- Why Jesus is central. What does it mean to really follow Jesus?
- What is so important about “plain old church?”
- “Church” in the abstract vs. participating with the people of the Church
- Church as a spiritual discipline
- Church as counter-cultural practice
- Church as not tame
- The shift that took place in Sarah’s spiritual life.
- Finding room for people who have unanswered prayers, or are having trouble with joy, or happy songs.
Links and Resources:
<---Help Support this Podcast--->
Join others in contributing financially to help pay for hosting and equipment costs.