August 8, 2017
Episode 19 features an interview with Erica Barthalow. Erica has been in various forms of ministry in her life, including three years as a missionary in India. She wrote a not so typical book about her experience there. It’s called Holy Doubt: Finding Hope When Faith is a Struggle. She admits that three months into her time in India she felt abandoned by God.
Some of what we talk about in the interview:
- What questions to ask about God: Is God good? Does God cause bad things to happen to us?
- Unlearning our assumptions about God
- If we follow Jesus will we always be safe?
- What are the stories of faith that get told? How do we tell stories of doubt and struggle?
- How we are changed by living in or visiting a different culture.
- Not being legalistic about reading the Bible, but attempting to read every day and read through the Bible in a year
- Praying throughout the day vs. setting aside time to pray.